Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken n Shrooms

When something savory is needed for dinner, I always like the combination of chicken and mushrooms for both flavor and nutrients...Served up with a green salad, it can't be beat.

I'm not a big fan of handling the whole bird I must admit. I'll do it if I have to, but less is more in that department, which is why I like chicken tenders - already sliced up and ready to throw in the frying pan.
They take mere minutes to cook and are healthy to boot, especially the organic, free-range variety. This dinner takes a few minutes and is delicious. I got the idea from grandma, who used to make these lightly fried chicken tenders for grandpa (and me if I was lucky enough to be hanging around). I added the mushrooms, wine and cream. For a lower fat version, don't add the whipping cream and use chicken broth. But if you can, try it with the cream - it's soooo yummy and gives it the decadence factor.















Chicken with creamy mushroom wine sauce
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup corn flour or masa
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t smoked paprika
Mix together and dredge chicken tenders - about a pound - before adding to oil over medium high heat.
After chicken is cooked through, deglaze the pan with wine - either white or red for more color. Add the whole mushrooms.
Add to pan:
3/4 c wine
1 to 2 cups of whole mushrooms
1/2 c whipping cream
1 minced garlic clove
Let simmer till mushrooms are soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add cream and simmer til a thick, creamy sauce emerges. Salt and pepper to taste. 
Pour sauce and mushrooms over chicken and serve. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spaghetti squash with fresh basil, sundried tomatoes and pinenuts

Spaghetti squash with fresh basil, sundried tomatoes and pinenuts
Sundried Spaghetti