Saturday, January 26, 2013

I'll Give it a Wheat Belly Try


 
Ginger Spice Cookies from Wheat Belly
So I just received a box in the mail filled with a new juice extractor, Wheat Belly by William Davis, and Wheat Belly Cookbook with 150 Recipes. To say I'm inspired is an understatement, and I've decided to do a little experiment and do the wheat-free thing for 45 days, cooking a recipe from either of the books and tracking my progress. I'm stoked to do it, especially after reading how eliminating wheat from your diet can help with weight loss, alleviation of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, improvement in cholesterol and LDL counts, and cessation of skin conditions - not to mention reduction of inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis pain, recovery from intestinal issues like celiac disease and ulcerative colitis, and improvement in bone density. It doesn't surprise me that Davis lists GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism) as the culprit as to why wheat wreaks havoc on our systems - the wheat of our grandmothers wasn't the same as the genetically altered, mass-produced wheat of today. If you want to read more, buy the book - I'm hear to write my reactions to the recipes and track how I feel. I'm on Day One today, a gorgeous Saturday, and I woke up late and made myself a vegetable and fruit juice, which has sustained me all day. I was excited to try out my new juicer, as the Waring Pro Juice Extractor was only $50 on Amazon, and I wondered if I would regret not spending the $100 to $250 for a fancier juicer. But, after juicing a beet, an apple, two carrots, four red kale leafs, half a lemon, and a thumb of ginger; I concluded that the juicer was a keeper. Sure there were a few little chunks left behind when I cleaned out the machine, but it was less noisy than the juicer I bought at a thrift store for $5 in Durango and a half the size! Also easier to clean. I didn't eat until a few hours later, and wondered if I'd feel deprived not being able to grab a sandwich. No sweat - luckily I had some Amy's Organics Spicy Chili. Very tasty with shredded cheddar and a dollap of sour cream. And GMO and gluten free!
At any rate, I flipped through the cookbook and settled on an old stand-by I love to cook: Eggplant Parmesan. It's on page 192 of the Wheat Belly Cookbook recipes, and uses a cup of ground golden flaxseeds and black pepper as a coating instead of the more traditional flour-based breading. Interestingly enough, Davis has you bake the slices of eggplant first, then assemble the casserole. I was intrigued, and decided that was supper. But what is supper without dessert? Ahhh...The Ginger Spice Cookies, on page 261 of Wheat Belly. I had the coconut flour already, but needed to get some walnut oil and desiccated coconut.
The store did not have the desiccated coconut, which is less moist than unsweetened shredded coconut, so I just got the organic finely shredded coconut and called it a day. The sweetners were sugar-free Torianni vanilla syrup and Stevia in the raw packets (about 10). He had a slew of other sweetners listed, but that's what I had, so I used it (and I know it's an acceptable substitute, not like it's Equal or something). The cookies turned out great! He gave a choice of what kind of liquid to use - either coconut milk or sour cream - and I chose the latter. I also used the Walnut oil instead of melted butter because it sounded healthier to me, and with a cup of chopped walnuts in the cookies, I figured the flavors would meld nicely. And they did! These cookies were so light and airy - almost like little cakes. You have to spoon them out and press them, shape them practically. I might try adding a bit of apple sauce next time to see if it moistens them just a tad. But overall, I'm really pleased. Now I have to run to the store for ground golden flaxseeds to get the eggplant going. I'm taking it to a friend's house. Tune in tomorrow for the results.
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, Hope. We've never gotten into juicing, but maybe someday .... We've been mostly wheat-free for quite a while now, and I think it's definitely the way to go, as it keeps the weight stable, digestion works better, and seems to be more heart healthy. I've got an eggplant I need to cook, so I'm eager to hear how yours turned out.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Spaghetti squash with fresh basil, sundried tomatoes and pinenuts

Spaghetti squash with fresh basil, sundried tomatoes and pinenuts
Sundried Spaghetti